Volunteer English TeacherThe English Opens Doors Program Published: October 29, 2015
Are you interested in volunteer-teaching English in Chile? Please consider the English Opens Doors Program. Participation is FREE and placements are available throughout Chile with the Chilean Ministry of Education.
The English Opens Doors Program is sponsored by the United Nations Development Program and the Chilean Ministry of Education. The English Opens Doors Program (EODP) seeks highly motivated individuals to work as English teaching assistants in public schools throughout Chile. A typical week for a full-time volunteer includes 24 hours of English teaching and 11 hours of extra-curricular activities.
English Opens Doors Program Volunteer benefits include:
- Week-long orientation in Santiago
- Free housing – Home-stay with a Chilean family
- All meals are covered
- Volunteer bonus of 70,000 CLP/month
- Free in-country transportation
- Free in-country health insurance
- Free online e-learning Spanish course
- Act as an ambassador for his/her home country and for the Chilean Ministry of Education. As such, he/she is responsible for his/her personal conduct and behavior as well as his/her level of professionalism at all times.
- Support and facilitate his/her students’ learning by:
- Creating an atmosphere and class style that allows students to feel more comfortable and expressive in an all-English environment.
- Making the subject of English entertaining by planning and carrying out didactic classes and activities focused on stimulating students’ “speaking and listening” abilities.
- Providing students with the opportunity to learn about the volunteer’s culture thereby promoting the English language as a gateway to other cultures.
- Be proactive, independent, and take initiative in regards to his/her personal health, safety, and well-being.
- Regard his/her students, colleagues, host family and fellow volunteers with an attitude of mutual learning, cooperation, and respect.
- Read, understand, and abide by the 2016 Terms of Participation.
- Maintain a superior level of communication with the National Volunteer Center and the Regional Representative. More details on the communication protocols will be given during Volunteer Orientation.
- Generally maintain their volunteer work and role in their school community as their primary focus and priority, over travel and recreation.
English Opens Doors Program Volunteer requirements include:
- Be a native or near-native English speaker
- Have completed a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university and be between 21 and 35 years old
- Be mentally and physically capable of teaching children
- Be willing to dedicate their energy and time to teaching and to make students their priority
- Have experience living or travelling in another country
- Have an interest in Chilean culture and living in a foreign country
- Be highly committed, responsible, and flexible
- Have access to sufficient funds to cover personal expenditures throughout the duration of the program
- Assume the associated costs (transportation to consulate, cost of obtaining documents) of obtaining a Temporary Residence Visa before arriving in Chile. Direct visa fees from the consulate will be waived
- Assume the cost of international transportation to Santiago according to the program start date
Materials needed to Apply
To apply and to learn more about available volunteer services for 2016, visit our website http://www.centrodevoluntarios.cl. You will be able to access our online form application by clicking links on the "Welcome" and "Apply Now" pages. We look forward to reviewing your application!
EFLSensei.com is not responsible for the accuracy of job descriptions and has no influence over the recruitment process or outcome of job applications. Applicants are advised to research employers fully prior to accepting employment.