“Shokutaku” Full-Time English Language InstructorsRitsumeikan University Published: June 12, 2015
“Shokutaku” Full-Time English Language Instructors (SFELI) are hired on contracts for one-year terms renewable up to four times subject to approval by the screening committee.
1. Job Description / Responsibilities
(1) Each SFELI will teach an average of ten credit-hours (koma) per week per semester (one credit-hour is 90 minutes).
(2) SFELI will also be asked to perform various duties related to education at our institution.
(3) SFELI may be invited to teach additional classes at the Center for Language Acquisition (CLA) at Ritsumeikan University for additional remuneration. Intensive classes during summer and spring vacations may be offered.
2. Qualifications for Employment
(1) Candidates must be capable of teaching English as a foreign language.
(2) Candidates must have at least a master's degree at the time of application, with a relevant research field in an area such as the following: TESL/TEFL/TESOL, Applied Linguistics (including CALL and other language education technologies, testing, etc.), Linguistics, Intercultural Communication, and Area Studies.
(3) Candidates must have experience teaching non-native students of English.
It may be desirable for candidates to have experience teaching CALL, remedial classes for learners with limited English language proficiency, and/or TOEFL/TOEIC preparation courses.
(4) It would be desirable for candidates to have obtained their qualifying degree within ten years of applying for the SFELI position.
(5) For those whose firs tlanguage is not Japanese, a level of Japanese language proficiency which enables them to communicate effectively in classes in Japanese if necessary and to handle daily administrative affairs will be required.
3. Number of Openings for the SFELI Position and Term of Employment
Number of positions available: 6
Term of employment: April 1, 2016 to March 31, 2017 (Annual contract, renewable up to four times subject to approval by the screening committee.)
Language Education Center
5. Place of Work
One or two of these campuses:
Ritsumeikan University’s Kinugasa Campus (KIC), Biwako Kusatsu Campus (BKC), or Osaka Ibaraki Campus (OIC).
6. Conditions of Employment
Monthly Salary: ¥350,000, Summer Bonus: ¥500,000, Year-end Bonus: ¥500,000 (Total Remuneration: ¥5,200,000) *Additional remuneration shall be paid to SFELI who teach additional classes as referred to in 1 (3) above.
*Medical Insurance: SFELIs are required to join the Mutual Aid Association of Private School Personnel (Shigaku Kyosai) during the term of their employment at Ritsumeikan University. Ritsumeikan Trust and the SFELI shall pay a prorated cost in accordance with Japanese law. Please be advised that all SFFLIs are required to join the Shigaku Kyosai pension scheme as well, and that fees for both the pension and health insurance plans will be deducted from the SFELI’s salary each month.
*A Commuting Allowance and other benefits will be provided according to the rules of Ritsumeikan Trust.
(1) Completed Application Forms 1 & 2.
*Both forms must be downloaded from our website (http://www.ritsumei.ac.jp/eng/html/employment/) and 1 completed by computer.
*Applicants should complete either the English or Japanese version of Application Form 1. If using the English version, it would be desirable if names of Japanese places and Japanese institutions were printed in Chinese characters (Kanji).
*Application form 1 must be printed on A4 paper for submission.
*Electronic versions of Application Forms 1 & 2 must also be included in the application in either CD-R or DVD-R formats.
(2) A photocopy of the original certificate of your highest academic degree earned.
(3) A photocopy of your original TESL/TEFL/TESOL certificate if you have such a qualification.
(4) A list of publications and conference presentations. (No particular format.)
(5) Abstracts of up to three of your academic papers. Please limit them to 500 words in English or 400 characters in Japanese. (No particular format.)
* If you are invited for interview, you will be asked to bring your original certificate of the highest academic degree earned to the interview.
*Sent application materials will not be returned.
*E-mailed applications will not be accepted.
*Please be sure to include all relevant information on our official application forms and do not attach a separate CV or other personal documents.
*Any personal information that we have obtained through your application will be handled in accordance with the ‘Protection of Personal Information Act’ and will be used strictly for identifying candidates for the positions only.
8. Application Deadline
Only applications received no later than August 24, 2015 will be accepted. Applications should be sent by registered mail (kan’i-kaki tome) or EMS.
9. Interviews / Selection process results
Short-listed candidates will be interviewed either on September 26 or 27, 2015. If you are invited to this interview, you will be informed by Wednesday, September 16 by e-mail.
Applicants will be notified of the selection process results in mid-November 2015 (scheduled).
* Inquiries on the selection process results cannot be answered individually.
10. Application Address
Put the above application materials in an envelope marked “Application for Shokutaku Full-time English Language Instructor” in red lettering and send it to the following address by registered mail (kan’i-kakitome) or EMS:
Office of Language Education Planning and Development (Gengo Kyoiku Kikaku-ka) Ritsumeikan University
56-1, Tojiin Kita-machi, Kita-ku, Kyoto 603-8577
Smoking is prohibited in the entire premises of Ritsumeikan University and smoking space is not set up in the university.
12. Contact for Inquiries
EFLSensei.com is not responsible for the accuracy of job descriptions and has no influence over the recruitment process or outcome of job applications. Applicants are advised to research employers fully prior to accepting employment.