Paid Teach Abroad in ColombiaAcademic Programs International (API) Published: August 22, 2016
API is working together with Colombia’s Ministry of Education and a Colombian public institution, National Service of Learning (SENA), to provide conversational English training in job training centers and schools. English training is an important step to help locals succeed in school, find better jobs, and improve communication in the global market. This program will not only give you invaluable international work experience, but will also help the Colombian population improve their lives!
Placements are available to teach conversational English in one of two ways: co-teach with a local Colombian teacher in 9-11th grade public school classrooms or at adult vocational training centers.
Participants are required to teach 20-25 classroom hours and put in an additional 15-20 hours of classroom preparation, grading, office hours, and staff meetings per week.
Placement locations may include, but are not limited to, the following cities: Armenia, Barranquilla, Bogotá, Bucaramanga, Buga, Cartagena, Cartago, Espinal, Floridablanca, Girón, Itagüí, Ibagué, Manizales, Medellín, Miraflores, Montería, Mosquera, Neiva, Pereira, Sabaneta, Santa Marta, Valledupar, Villavicencio, and Zipaquirá. Our placements are based upon the needs and availability of the partner programs in various cities in Colombia.
API Program Includes:
- Guaranteed teaching placement
- Monthly stipend of $1,500,000 Colombian pesos
- 24/7 Pre-departure and local English-speaking support
- Airport pick-up and transfer on designated arrival date
- Visa and work permit processing fees
- Two-week orientation in Bogota and one-week training in host city with shared accommodations, meals, and activities
- Domestic transportation to placement city (Baggage fees are not included)
- First month of housing (or stipend) in placement city
- Cultural activities and excursions
- National Colombian health insurance
- Supplemental International medical, life, and travel insurance
- Final bonus of $500,000 COP to those completing a semester of service; $1,500,000 bonus to those completing a full year of service
- A pair of TOMS Shoes or a Krama Wheel scarf upon completion of your program and evaluations. (Visit the API website to read more about these two organizations and their wonderful missions of giving back to communities around the world!)
- Minimum 21 years old, Maximum 55 years old
- Native or Fluent English speaker
- Bachelor's degree in any discipline (or minimum five years full-time professional experience without a BA degree)
- Teaching/tutoring or classroom experience (not required, but helpful)
- Basic Spanish language skills (not required, but helpful)
- Enjoy leading groups and teaching young adults and/or professionals
- Lesson planning and organizational skills
- High degree of professionalism and flexibility
- Open to foreign cultures and living abroad
- Dedication to the full term of commitment
- A criminal background check
Materials needed to Apply
Application materials required:
- application form
- cover letter
- application fee
You can find out more information on how to apply by following this link: http://www.apistudyabroad.com/experiential-programs/application-process/
Application deadline: API does rolling admissions for this program. Final application deadlines for 2017 programs are:
- November 20, 2016 (Jan/Feb 2017 start)
- February 1, 2017 (March 2017 start)
- April 15, 2017 (June/July 2017 start)
EFLSensei.com is not responsible for the accuracy of job descriptions and has no influence over the recruitment process or outcome of job applications. Applicants are advised to research employers fully prior to accepting employment.