English Language PromotersNukanti Foundation Published: May 7, 2015
In Partnership with the local Department of Education, the Nukanti Foundation is offering short-term opportunities to work with youth in Risaralda, Colombia—the heart of the country's coffee region.
- Position: English Language Promoter Volunteer
- Work site: Colombia, Risaralda Department
- Type: Volunteer position (food, accommodation and internal travel costs will be covered)
- Length of project: 2 - 10 months (April - November 30)
- Supervisor: Colombia Regional Director
Community English teachers will work with children and youth in Colombia's coffee region to improve English language outcomes in rural public schools
- Volunteers will work in classes and create after-school activities in order to improve the English language skills of both students and local English teachers.
- Volunteers will be involved in revising English teaching curricula in cooperation with local education authorities.
Through regular communication with colleagues and administrators, the volunteers will contribute to the project's overall objective of enhancing local youth's prospects of higher education and future employment in order for them to overcome typical socio-economic restrictions of rural Colombia.
Founded in 2008, the Nukanti Foundation is an independent non-profit organization dedicated to leveraging sports and the arts as tools for engaging, educating, and empowering youth. Our programs offer skills development in critical thinking, conflict resolution, problem solving, personal wellness, cross-cultural communication, community building, and social entrepreneurship.
The 2013 recipient of Beyond Sport's Sport for Conflict Resolution and a finalist for Peace and Sport's 2013 NGO of the Year award, Nukanti operates chapters in Brazil, Colombia, Morocco, UK, and USA. We serve youth in communities working to address the social impacts of long-standing conflict, poverty, and human-rights violations.
- All volunteers are required to be fluent English speakers.
- Previous experiences in volunteer work abroad and/or education/teaching are beneficial but not required.
- Basic Spanish is beneficial but not required. It will make it easier for the volunteers to integrate into the local community.
For the duration of the project, the volunteers will receive:
- accommodation with a host family near your place of work
- 3 meals per day
- internal, work-related travel services or remuneration
- Internet and local transport stipend
- documentation necessary to secure a volunteer visa to Colombia
Responsibilities of the Volunteer:
- Round-trip travel to and from Pereira, Risaralda Department, Colombia
- Visa costs
- Health insurance costs
Materials needed to Apply
How to Apply:
Apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A cover letter (not to exceed 750 words) explaining qualifications and motivation to join the project
- a CV/resume
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and offers will be extended as qualified candidates are identified!
EFLSensei.com is not responsible for the accuracy of job descriptions and has no influence over the recruitment process or outcome of job applications. Applicants are advised to research employers fully prior to accepting employment.