Elementary TeacherFelice Tamamura International School Published: September 16, 2015
Gunma Felice Academy was founded in 2004 by Christians and an accredited Kindergarten and Elementary by the Japan Ministry of Education. We aim to provide a quality education based on Christian principles.
Currently we are seeking teachers who are interested in Japan, Japanese culture and working with Japanese people. We seek teachers who are patient, friendly, and flexible. Successful applicants will have excellent communication skills and be eager to learn new things. Must be a team player, proactively support colleagues, and be thoughtful and considerate of others. They must also be able to respond to positive and negative feedback. A position at Felice involves working with children preschool through elementary age; therefore teachers must be active and enthusiastic. Felice is located in Gunma prefecture, about 100km north of Tokyo.
Elementary Homeroom Teacher (ages 6-12)
- Homeroom teacher for 10-20 students, responsible for all of the lessons and activities, preparation and all of the day to day operations of a classroom.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Teach children to listen, speak, read and write in English using ESL methodology / teaching strategies.
- Monitor children as they play outside. Maintain a safe environment through constant visual supervision, intervene physically in emergency situations, including, if necessary, carrying an injured child to a place of safety.
- Participate in team meetings, sharing knowledge, experiences and ideas among team members. Make sure all playground equipment is put away properly.
- Maintain a clean classroom environment. Decorate walls and classroom appropriate for children, the current season, holiday and/or subject of study. Display student work and maintain word. Sweep and clean classroom daily.
- Prepare and distributes children’s materials and letters to parents.
- Prepare age-appropriate lessons and activities.
- Teach students following the company's curriculum and teaching methodology effectively, offering interesting lessons for students that help maintain their desire to learn more in English.
- Evaluate students using appropriate tools, ie. Quizzes, tests, informal assessments.
- Complete and update daily teaching, attendance, classroom cleaning records.
- Attend required staff meetings, seminars and other activities.
Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 3:25 pm (total 30 working hours a week)
Occasional weekends for school events
Schedule (Example) - Please note that daily schedule changes slightly from day to day
9:00-9:50 Morning Meeting
9:05-9:50 First Period English Language Arts
9:53-10:38 Second Period Japanese Math
10:38-10:47 Snack Time
10:47-11:32 Third Period English Math
11:35-12:20 Fourth Period Japanese Language Arts
1:00-1:45 Six Period P.E.
2:33-2:45 Dismissal (Class room clean-up)
2:45-3:30 Seventh Period Japanese Science
- Salary: Full-time native English teachers: JPY 250,000 ~ 300,000/month
- Contract renewal bonus . A bonus will be paid at the end of the every school year in March.
- Kokumin Hoken (National insurance) (70%coverage): School will pay half of the premium.
- Consecutive working hours (no split shifts)
- 10 sick/personal leave days, in addition to national holidays (approximately 12). Summer vacation 10days, winter vacation approximately 5days, spring vacation approximately 3 days.
- Paid training
- This position is a one year contract
- Furnished/Non-furnished apartments are available. Additional cost for an apartment with basic furnishings (4,000yen)
- Rent ranges from 50,000-60,000 yen/mo nth
- Teachers are responsible for paying utilities
- Cleaning fee 10,000 yen
- A 1 bedroom apartment is for one person, has 1 bedroom+1 living room & kitchen + bathroom, about 30 m2.
- Airfare and moving allowance reimbursement upon arriving in Japan (for teachers outside of Japan)
Events: We have many exciting events throughout the year,
- Spring camp
- Summer School
- Christmas Party & Concert
- Sport day festival
- Staff only parties
- Jamboree Bazaar
As well as Japanese traditional seasonal events:
- Mochi (rice cake) Making
- Karate class for teachers
- Japanese class for teachers (Free)
- Native level English speaker
- Must have a BA in Education or be a Certified Elementary or Secondary Teacher from an English speaking country
- Be able to work for a minimum of one year
- TESOL, TEFL, or CELTA experience (at least 120 hours) or equivalent certificate is favorable
- Teaching experience and/or instructor training experience is favorable
- Previous experience working with children, and enjoy working with children
- Ability to changes in schedule or routines
- Honest, hard working, flexible and dedicated individual who has a warm and energetic personality
Materials needed to Apply
- Copy of College Diploma(s)
- Copy of Teaching License
EFLSensei.com is not responsible for the accuracy of job descriptions and has no influence over the recruitment process or outcome of job applications. Applicants are advised to research employers fully prior to accepting employment.